Book , Print in English
The Renaissance print : 1470-1550
David Landau and Peter Parshall.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 1994.
- xii, 433 pages : illustrations(some colored) ; 30 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Checked out, Due: Jul 6 2020Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- I. Framing the Renaissance Print
- II. Craft Guilds, Workshops, and Supplies. Printmakers and the Organized Crafts. The Printmaker's Workshop and Its Necessities. Paper: The Printmaker's Ground. Blocks and Plates: The Printmaker's Matrix. Printmaking Presses. Production Rates, Costs, and Market Value
- III. How Prints Became Works of Art: The First Generation. Book Illustration and Specialization in the Woodcut Trade. Anton Koberger's Enterprise. Anton Kolb and Jacopo De' Barbari: Northern Enterprise Abroad. Northern Engraving and the Inventions of the Master ES. Martin Schongauer: His Innovation and His Imitators. Israhel Van Meckenem: Entrepreneurial Printmaker and Pirate. Early Traces of Print Collecting. The Development of a Tonal System. The Impression as a Work of Art. Prints as Competitors of Paintings. The Market
- IV. From Collaboration to Reproduction in Italy. The Early Years. Marcantonio, Agostino Veneziano, and Marco Dente.
- Titian, Parmigianino, and Rosso and Their Collaboration With Ugo Da Carpi, Caraglio, and Antonio Da Trento. The Birth of the Reproductive Print
- V. The Cultivation of the Woodcut in the North. The Refinement of the Single-Leaf Woodcut: 1500-1512. The First Masters. Color Printing. Altdorfer and the Miniature Woodcut. Emperor Maximilian's Woodcut Projects. Maximilian's Block Cutters Thereafter. Corner Presses and Their Public. Mural Woodcuts and Their Proper Walls. Prints and Facts: The Specialized Markets
- VI. Artistic Experiment and the Collector's Print. The Innovators and Their Followers. Italian Printmakers: Their Milieu and the Market. Print Publishing in Italy. Northern Engraving: The Refinement of the Art. Etching: The Failed Experiment. Northern Printmakers: Their Milieu and the Market
- VII. Epilogue
- Appendix: Currencies, Values, and Wages.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 415-428) and index.
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 93005682
- OCLC: 28495351