Book , Print in English
Israeli democracy under stress
edited by Ehud Sprinzak and Larry Diamond.
- Boulder, Colo. : Lynne Rienner Publishers, ©1993.
- xvi, 385 pages : 24 cm.
- Foreword / Arye Cannon
- 1. Introduction / Ehud Sprinzak and Larry Diamond. 2. Democracy as Paradox / Larry Diamond
- Pt. 1. Historical Origins. 3. The Origins of Israeli Political Culture / Myron J. Aronoff. 4. The Historical Origins of Israeli Democracy / Yonathan Shapiro
- Pt. 2. Political Institutions. 5. The Electoral System, Government, and Democracy / Vernon Bogdanor. 6. Israeli Democracy and Democratic Reform in Comparative Perspective / Arend Lijphart. 7. Rights and Democracy: The Court's Performance / Pnina Lahav. 8. Israel's Political Economy / Ira Sharkansky
- Pt. 3. Political Behavior and Attitudes. 9. Elite Illegalism in Israel and the Question of Democracy / Ehud Sprinzak. 10. The Politics of Provocation Revisited: Participation and Protest in Israel / Gadi Wolfsfeld. 11. Trends in the Commitment to Democracy: 1987-1990 / Ephraim Yuchtman-Yaar and Yochanan Peres. 12. The Israeli Public and the Intifada: Attitude Change or Entrenchment? / Ephraim Yuchtman-Yaar
- Pt. 4. Political Culture and Social Cleavages. 13. Democratic Politics and Culture in Modern Israel: Recent Trends / Yaron Ezrahi. 14. Religion and Democracy in Israel / Charles S. Liebman. 15. Political Education in the Midst of a National Identity Crisis: The Compatibility of Judaism and Democracy as a Pedagogical Theme / Arye Carmon. 16. Class, Ethnic, and National Cleavages and Democracy in Israel / Sammy Smooha. 17. The Arab-Israeli Conflict and Israeli Democracy / Yoram Peri
- Pt. 5. Conclusion. 18. Directions for Reform / Larry Diamond and Ehud Sprinzak.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1555873782 (hardcover)
- 1555873804 (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 92033569
- OCLC: 26934729