Book, Print in English
The Uses of tradition: Jewish continuity in the modern era
edited by Jack Wertheimer.
- New York : Jewish Theological Seminary of America ; Cambridge, Mass. : Distributed by Harvard University Press, ©1992.
- xxi, 510 pages : illustrations; 24 cm.
Eisenhower B LevelBM 195 .U83 1992 c. 1Available
- Pt. I. The Confrontation of Traditionalists With Modernity. 1. German Jewish Orthodoxy: Tradition in the Context of Culture / David Ellenson. 2. The Emergence of Ultra-Orthodoxy: The Invention of a Tradition / Michael K. Silber. 3. Preserving Tradition in the Land of Revolution: The Religious Leadership of Soviet Jewry, 1917-1930 / David E. Fishman. 4. Religious Responses among North African Jews in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries / Harvey E. Goldberg. 5. The Hazon Ish: Haredi Critic of Traditional Orthodoxy / Lawrence Kaplan. 6. The Lost Kiddush Cup: Changes in Ashkenazic Haredi Culture - A Tradition in Crisis / Menachem Friedman
- Pt. II. The Retrieval of Tradition in Modern Jewish Culture. 7. Traditionalism and Village Jews in Nineteenth-Century Western and Central Europe: Local Persistence and Urban Nostalgia / Paula E. Hyman. 8. Self-image through Objects: Toward a Social History of Jewish Art Collecting and Jewish Museums / Richard I. Cohen.
- 9. S. Ansky and the Paradigm of Return / David G. Roskies. 10. Modern Students of Midrash Halakhah: Between Tradition and Wissenschaft / Jay M. Harris. 11. The Retrieval of Innocence and Tradition: Jewish Spiritual Renewal in an Age of Liberal Individualism / Paul Mendes-Flohr. 12. 'Merry Chanuka': The Changing Holiday Practices of American Jews, 1880-1950 / Jenna Weissman Joselit
- Pt. III. The Reappropriation of Tradition in Contemporary Judaism. 13. Reinventing Miriam's Well: Feminist Jewish Ceremonials / Shulamit S. Magnus. 14. Ritual and Role Transition: Adult Bat Mitzvah as a Successful Rite of Passage / Stuart Schoenfeld. 15. Midrash and Modernity: Can Midrash Serve a Contemporary Religious Discourse? / Barry W. Holtz. 16. The Havurah as a Context for Adult Jewish Education / Joseph Reimer. 17. Tradition, Judaism, and the Jewish Religion in Contemporary Israeli Society / Charles S. Liebman.
- 18. Constructing the Usable Past: The Idea of 'Tradition' in Twentieth-Century American Judaism / Arnold M. Eisen
- Conclusion: When Modern Jews Appropriate From the Tradition: A Symposium. Tradition and Modernity Reconsidered / Michael A. Meyer. The Reappropriation of Jewish Tradition in the Modern Era / Charles S. Liebman. Postmodern or Neo-Medieval Times? / Ivan G. Marcus.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 92033133
- OCLC: 26634160