Book , Print in English
The Early Roman Empire in the East
edited by Susan E. Alcock.
- Oxford, England : Oxbow Books, 1997.
- viii, 212 pages : illustrations maps, plans ; 24 cm.
Eisenhower B LevelDG276.E26 1997 c. 1Available
- Preface: East is East? / Susan E. Alcock
- Sect. 1. Urban Structures
- 1. Roman Urbanization of the East / Greg Woolf
- 2. Roman Colonies in the Province of Achaia: Territories, Land and Population / A. D. Rizakis
- Sect. 2. Regional Studies
- 3. Syrian Desert under the Romans / Michal Gawlikowski
- 4. Syrian Countryside during the Roman Era / Georges Tate
- 5. Jewish Rural Settlement in Judaea in the Early Roman Period / Yizhar Hirschfeld
- 6. Roman Relationship with the Persicus sinus from the Rise of Spasinou Charax (127 BC) to the Reign of Shapur II (AD 309-79) / D. T. Potts
- Sect. 3. Images and Identities
- 7. Imperial Image in the Eastern Mediterranean / Charles Brian Rose
- 8. Greeks and Barbarians: The Black Sea Region and Hellenism under the Early Empire / David Braund
- 9. Funerary Monuments and Mortuary Practice in Roman Asia Minor / Sarah Cormack
- 10. Aspects of 'Romanization': The Tomb Architecture at Palmyra and its Decoration / Andreas Schmidt-Colinet
- 11. Origins of the Icon: Pilgrimage, Religion and Visual Culture in the Roman East as 'Resistance' to the Centre / Jas' Elsner
- Sect. 4. Afterword
- View from the West / Martin Millett.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 190018852X (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: gb 98015485
- OCLC: 38224258