Video/Film , DVD in English , German
Der Letzte Mann : The last laugh
- New York : Kino on Video, 2001.
- 1 videodisc (91 min.) : sound, b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- DVD (NTSC region 1); stereo.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesPN1997 .L488 2001 c. 1Available
- Also known as
- Container title: F. W. Murnau's The last laugh
- Last laugh
- Director, F. W. Murnau ; screenplay, Carl Mayer ; photography, Karl Freund.
- Cast: Emil Jannings, Maly Delshaft, Max Hiller, Emilie Kurz, Hans Unterkirchen, Georg John.
- One of the major works of German silent cinema, Murnau's class drama depicts the fall of the respected, aging, hotel doorman of a posh 1920s Berlin hotel, who is cruelly stripped of his position and reduced to a bathroom attendant, before his fortunes turn. The film was groundbreaking for its expressive, mobile camera work, which imparts information visually, without subtitles. The camera glides, rises, zooms, or weaves where the story takes it. The camera takes part in the action and becomes a character in the drama.
- Other information
- Originally produced as a silent motion picture in Germany in 1924.
- Includes an alternate ending, with German title cards.
- Language: Silent film, with English end credits and intertitles; music sound track added.
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 47162869