Book , Print in English
City of courts : socializing justice in Progressive Era Chicago
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- xxxix, 332 pages : illustrations portraits ; 23 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesHV9956.C47 W55 2003 c. 1Available
- I: Transformations
- The price of justice
- A managerial revolution
- Rethinking responsibility for a social age
- Socializing the law
- II: Practices
- Interlude: Socializes law in action
- "Keep sober, work, and support his family": the court of domestic relations
- "To protect her from the greed as well as the passions of man": the morals court
- "Upon the threshold of manhood": the boys' court
- "Keep the life stream pure": the psychopathic laboratory
- III: Misgivings
- America's first war on crime.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 0521790824 (cased)
- 052179403X (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2004303084
- OCLC: 51271734