Book , Print in English
Hans Holbein the Younger : the Basel years, 1515-1532
with contributions by Christian Müller ... [et al.].
- Munich ; New York : Prestel, ©2006.
- 526 pages : illustrations(some colored) ; 30 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower D LevelND588.H7 A4 2006 QUARTO c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Jan 8 2019Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "This volume contains nearly the entire creative output of Hans Holbein the Younger's Basel period, i.e. the productive and innovative years between 1515 and 1532. In contrast to his later work in England, where he was active primarily as a portraitist and a designer at court, the Basel years were varied and multifaceted." "This publication also includes a series of essays by distinguished Holbein scholars. These cover Holbein's artistic development, analyze his graphic works, shed light on his religious panel paintings and focus on individual works and work complexes such as the woodcut series of the Images of Death. Holbein's artistic career, his patrons and his relationship to antique and contemporary art theory are also discussed."--BOOK JACKET.
- artistic development of Hans Holbein the younger as panel painter during his Basel years / Jochen Sander
- Hans Holbein the younger as draughtsman / Christian Muller
- Altarpieces, epitaphs and organ shutters : religious paintings / Stephen Kemperdick
- Holbein's career between city and court / Peter Cornelius Claussen
- Tactics and strategy : Holbein's patrons in Basel : bankers, scholars and nobles / Nikolaus Meier
- London interlude 1526-1528 / Andreas Beyer
- Basel in Holbein's day / Kaspar von Greyerz
- On Holbein's painting of the Pauline creed of law and grace / Dieter Koepplin
- terminus as a rebus in Holbein's portrait of Erasmus / Matthias Winner
- Holbein's hand / Oskar Batschmann
- images of death and the triumph of life / Stephanie Buck
- Hans Holbein and printmaking / Christian Rumelin
- Drawings and paintings.
- Other information
- Published to accompany the exhibition held at the Kunstmuseum Basel, April 1-July 2, 2006.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 496-515) and index.
- Eisenhower copy: Purchased with funds from the President Gilman Fund; FY2007.
- 3791335804 (hbk.)
- 9783791335803 (hbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2006436530
- OCLC: 64315713
- OCLC: 64315713