Book, Print in English
The rebirth of Hasidism: 1945 to the present day
Jacques Gutwirth ; translated by Sophie Leighton.
- London : Free Association Books, 2005.
- vii, 198 pages ; 23 cm.
Eisenhower B LevelBM198.G825 2005 c. 1Available
- Also known as
- Uniform Title: Renaissance du hassidisme. English
- "Jacques Gutwirth gives a vivid portrait of the major Hasidic centres - from Antwerp to New York and from Jerusalem and Bene Beraq to Paris. He describes the main characteristics of Hasidism today, as well as its spiritual and intellectual impact, recent history and global influence. Hasidism is a phenomenon that goes beyond any specific religious conception or way of life. Its rapid development is linked with contemporary politics and global economics, to which it then contributes in turn."--BOOK JACKET.
- 1. From the birth to the rebirth
- 2. European staging-post : Antwerp
- 3. Williamsburg, a Satmar bastion
- 4. Borough Park : a 'bourgeois' district
- 5. Crown Heights, seat of the Lubavitch movement
- 6. Jerusalem
- 7. Bene Beraq and other locations
- 8. Lubavitch in France
- 9. Overview.
- Other information
- Translated from French.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 178-186) and index.
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2006372821
- OCLC: 61895140