Book, Print in English
On course: a week-by-week guide to your first semester of college teaching
James M. Lang.
- Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2008.
- xv, 319 pages ; 22 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower B LevelLB2331.L245 2008 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Jun 30 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "Practical, dear, and lively, On Course is full of experience-tested, research-based advice for graduate students and new faculty clutching the podium for the first time. Divided into fifteen chapters to match the weeks of the semester. On Course provides a wide range of innovative and traditional teaching strategies. They work - and they won't overwhelm you with extensive preparation or grading time when you're also trying to do your research, meet service requirements, learn your way around a new campus, and remember your children's names."--BOOK JACKET.
- Week 1: first days of class
- Week 2: teaching with technology
- Week 3: in the classroom: lectures
- Week 4: in the classroom: discussions
- Week 5: in the classroom: teaching with small groups
- Week 6: assignments and grading
- Week 7: students as learners
- Week 8: students as people
- Week 9: academic honesty
- Week 10: finding a balance outside the classroom
- Week 11: re-energizing the classroom
- Week 12: common problems
- Week 13: student ratings and evaluations
- Week 14: last days of class
- Week 15: teachers as people
- After the end: top ten resources
- Appendix A: a sample syllabus
- Appendix B: student participation evaluation form.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780674028067 (alk. paper)
- 0674028066 (alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2007043155
- OCLC: 179801079
- OCLC: 179801079