Book , Print in English
Negro president : Jefferson and the slave power
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2005.
- 1st Mariner Books ed.
- xviii, 274 pages : portraits ; 20 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
SAIS Reserve StacksE332.2 .W55 2005Available
- "In "Negro President" historian Garry Wills explores a pivotal moment in American history through the lens of Thomas Jefferson and the now largely forgotten Timothy Pickering, and "prods readers to appreciate essential aspects of our distressed but well-intentioned representative democracy" (Chicago Tribune)." "In 1800 Jefferson won the presidential election with Electoral College votes derived from the three-fifths representation of slaves - slaves who could not vote but were still partially counted as citizens. Moving beyond the recent revisionist debate over Jefferson's own slaves and his relationship with Sally Hemings, Wills instead probes the heart of Jefferson's presidency and political life, revealing how the might of the slave states remained a concern behind his most important policies and decisions." "Wills restores Timothy Pickering and the Federalists' dramatic struggle to our understanding of Jefferson, the creation of the new nation, and the evolution of our representative democracy."--BOOK JACKET.
- Pickering vs. Jefferson: the Northwest
- Pickering vs. Jefferson: Toussaint
- 1800: why were slaves counted?
- 1800: the Negro-Burr election
- 1801: Jefferson or Burr?
- 1801 aftermath: turning out the federalists
- 1803: the twelfth amendment
- 1803: Louisiana
- 1804: Pickering and Burr
- 1804-1805: impeachments
- 1808: embargo
- 1808: Pickering and Governor Sullivan
- 1808: Pickering and J.Q. Adams
- 1809-1915: Pickering and Madison
- J.Q. Adams: the federal (slave) district
- J.Q. Adams: petition battles
- Epilogue : farewell to Pickering.
- Other information
- "A Mariner book."
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -258) and index.
- 9780618485376 (pbk.)
- 0618485376 (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2005283511
- OCLC: 62511870
- OCLC: 62511870