Book , Print in English
Pompeii : the life of a Roman town
- London : Profile, 2008.
- 360 pages,  p. of plates : illustrations(some colored), maps, plans ; 25 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower B LevelDG78.B375 2008 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Mar 26 2019Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "The ruins of Pompeii, buried by an explosion of Vesuvius in 79 C.E., offer the best evidence we have of everyday life in the Roman empire. This remarkable book rises to the challenge of making engrossing sense of those remains. What kind of town was it? What can it actually tell us about life then - from sex to politics, food to religion, slavery to literacy?" "A number of myths have to be exploded - the very date of the eruption, probably a few months later than usually thought; or the hygiene of the baths which must have been hotbeds of germs; or the legendary number of brothels, most likely only one, or the massive death count, maybe less than ten per cent of the population." "In every area telling details illuminate the whole - the one-way road system disclosed by the ruts in the streets, the pots of paint abandoned by the decorators, the 153 wax tables offering the financial records of a local banker-auctioneer, an ivory statuette of an Indian goddess, a table that belonged to one of Caesar's assassins."--BOOK JACKET.
- Plan of Pompeii
- Ch. 1. Living in an Old City
- Ch. 2. Street Life
- Ch. 3. Mouse and Home
- Ch. 4. Painting and Decorating
- Ch. 5. Earning a Living: Baker, Banker and Garum Maker
- Ch. 6. Who Ran the City?
- Ch. 7. Pleasures of the Body: Food, Wine, Sex and Baths
- Ch. 8. Fun and Games
- Ch. 9. City Full of Gods.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 317-335) and index.
- 9781861975164 (hbk.)
- 1861975163 (hbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 232713374
- OCLC: 232713374