Book , Print in English
Likeness and presence : a history of the image before the era of art
Hans Belting ; translated by Edmund Jephcott.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1996, ©1994.
- Pbk. ed.
- xxiv, 651 pages,  p. of plates : illustrations(some colored) ; 24 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower D LevelN7850.B4513 1996 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Oct 19 2018Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- Also known as
- Uniform Title: Bild und Kult. English
- The icon from a modern perspective and in light of its history
- Why images? : imagery and religion in late antiquity
- Heavenly images and earthly portraits : St. Luke's picture and "unpainted" originals in Rome and the Eastern Empire
- Roman funerary portraits and portraits of the saints
- The imperial image in antiquity and the problem of the Christian cult of images
- Image devotion, public relations, and theology at the end of antiquity
- Church and image : the doctrine of the church and iconoclasm --
- The holy image in church decoration and a new policy of images
- Pilgrims, emperors and confraternities : veneration of icons in Byzantium and Venice
- The "holy face" : legends and images in competition
- The iconostasis and the role of the icon in the liturgy and in private devotion
- "Living painting" : poetry and rhetoric in a new style of icons in the eleventh and twelfth centuries
- Statues, vessels, and signs : medieval images and relics in the West
- The icon in the civic life of Rome
- "In the Greek manner" : imported icons in the West --
- Norm and freedom : Italian icons in the age of the Tuscan cities
- The madonnas of Siena : the image in urban life
- The dialogue with the image : the era of the private image at the end of the Middle Ages
- Religion and art : the crisis of the image at the beginning of the modern age.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 605-615) and indexes.
- 0226042154 (pbk.)
- 9780226042152 (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 49055924
- OCLC: 49055924