Book , Print in English
A reader's guide to Proust's In search of lost time
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- xiv, 214 pages : illustrations; 23 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower D Level Blue LabelsPQ2631.R63 A78723 2010 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Jun 30 2019Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
- "Proust's 'A la recherche du temps perdu' (In search of lost time) is many things at once: a novel of education, a portrait of French society during the Third Republic, a masterful psychological analysis of love, a reflection on homosexuality, an essay in moral and aesthetic theory, and, above all, one of the great literary achievements of the twentieth century. This Reader's Guide analyses each volume of the 'Recherche' in order and in detail. Without jargon or technical language, David Ellison leads the reader through the work, clarifying but not oversimplifying the intricate beauty of Proust's imaginary universe. Focused both on large themes and on narrative and stylistic particularities, Ellison's readings expand our understanding and appreciation of the work and provide tools for the further study of Proust. All French quotations are translated, making this an ideal guide for students of comparative literature as well as of French"--Provided by publisher.
- Du côte de chez Swann (The way by Swann's)
- A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (In the shadow of young girls in flower)
- Le côte de Guermantes (The Guermantes way)
- Sodome et Gomorrhe (Sodom and Gomorrah)
- La prisonnière (The prisoner) and Albertine disparue (The fugitive)
- Le temps retrouve (Finding time again).
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Eisenhower copy: Purchased with funds from the Hugh & Hannah Steel Library Fund; FY2011.
- 9780521895774 (hardback)
- 0521895774 (hardback)
- 9780521720069 (pbk.)
- 0521720060 (pbk.)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2009050375
- OCLC: 473658842