Book , Print in English , Latin
Macrobius ; edited and translated by Robert A. Kaster.
- Cambridge, Mass. ; London : Harvard University Press, 2011.
- 3 volume(s). ; 17 cm.
Eisenhower D Level Classics Reference, Non-CirculatingPB1612.M16 2011 c. 1Multiple Items
Eisenhower D Level Blue LabelsPA6498.E5 S28 2011 c. 1Multiple Items
- Also known as
- Uniform Title: Saturnalia. English & Latin
- Scipio Aemilianus, P. Cornelius (Publius Cornelius), Africanus minor, 185 or 4-129 B.C. — In literature.
- Scipio, Africanus, ca. 236-183 B.C. — In literature.
- Virgil — Poetry.
- Dialogues, Latin — Translations into English.
- Religious poetry, Latin — Translations into English.
- Philosophy, Ancient.
- Rome — Civilization — Poetry.
- The Saturnalia, Macrobius' encyclopedic celebration of Roman culture written in the early fifth century CE, has been prized since the Renaissance as a treasure trove of otherwise unattested lore. Cast in the form of a dialogue, the Saturnalia treats subjects as diverse as the divinity of the Sun and the quirks of human digestion while showcasing Virgil as the master of all human knowledge, from diction and rhetoric to philosophy and religion, --
- The new Latin text is based on a refined understanding of the medieval tradition and improves on Willis' standard edition in nearly three hundred places. The accompanying translation--only the second in English and the only one now in print--offers a clear and sprightly rendition of Macrobius' ornate Latin and is supplemented by ample annotation. A full introduction places the work in its cultural context and analyzes its construction, while indexes of names, ancient works cited in both text and notes, and topics make the work more readily accessible than ever before. --
- Robert A. Kaster is Professor of Classics and Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin at Princeton University. --Book Jacket.
- Book VI
- Book VII.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Language: Parallel text in Latin and English translation.
- 9780674996496 (v. 1)
- 0674996496 (v. 1)
- 9780674996717 (v. 2)
- 0674996712 (v. 2)
- 9780674996724 (v. 3)
- 0674996720 (v. 3)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2010924777
- OCLC: 693772829
- OCLC: 693772829