Book , Print in English
Black Mexico : race and society from colonial to modern times
edited by Ben Vinson III and Matthew Restall.
- Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press, 2009.
- xiv, 278 pages : illustrations maps ; 23 cm.
Eisenhower B LevelF1392.B55 B55 2009 c. 1Available
- The essays in this collection build upon a series of conversations and papers that resulted from "New Directions in North American Scholarship on Afro-Mexico," a symposium conducted at Pennsylvania State University in 2004. The issues addressed include contested historiography, social and economic contributions of Afro-Mexicans, social construction of race and ethnic identity, forms of agency and resistance, and contemporary inquiry into ethnographic work on Afro-Mexican communities. Comprised of a core set of chapters that examine the colonial period and a shorter epilogue addressing the modern era, this volume allows the reader to explore ideas of racial representation from the sixteenth century into the twenty-first.
- Introduction. Black Mexico and the Historical Discipline / Ben Vinson III
- Sect. I Entering the Colonial World
- Slave Rebellion and Liberty in Colonial Mexico / Frank "Trey" Proctor III
- Negotiating Two Worlds: The Free-Black Experience in Guerrero's Tierra Caliente / Andrew B. Fisher
- Black Aliens and Black Natives in New Spain's Indigenous Communities / Pat Carroll
- From Dawn 'til Dusk: Black Labor in Late Colonial Mexico / Ben Vinson III
- Colonial Middle Men? Mulatto Identity in New Spain's Confraternities / Nicole Von Germeten
- Potions and Perils: Love-Magic in Seventeenth-Century Afro-Mexico and Afro-Yucatan / Joan Bristol / Matthew Restall
- Sect. II Engaging Modernity
- "Afro" Mexico in Black, White, and Indian: An Anthropologist Reflects on Fieldwork / Laura A. Lewis
- My Blackness and Theirs: Viewing Mexican Blackness Up Close / Bobby Vaughn
- Thorntons: Saga of an Afro-Mexican Family / Alva Moore Stevenson
- Need to Recognize Afro-Mexicans as an Ethnic Group / Jean-Philibert Mobwa Mobwa N'djoli.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 241-265) and index.
- 9780826347015 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0826347010 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2009020457
- OCLC: 335695908