Book , Print in English
From republic to empire : rhetoric, religion, and power in the visual culture of ancient Rome
- Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, ©2012.
- xxiv, 549 pages  pages of plates : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm.
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesN72.P6 P655 2012 c. 1Available
- note: I. Ritualizing Death in Republican Rome: Memory, Religion, Class Struggle, and the Wax Ancestral Mask Tradition's Origin and Influence on Veristic Portraiture
- II. Leader and the Divine: Official and Nonofficial Modes of Representation
- Appendix: A Colossal Statue of Titus or Domitian and the Neokorate Temples of Ephesos
- III. Cult Statue of Julius Caesar and Heroic and Divine Imagery of Deified Leaders in the Late Republic and Early Principate
- IV. From Warrior to Statesman in Art and Ideology: Octavian/Augustus and the Image of Alexander the Great
- Appendix: Triumphal Frieze of the Actian Victory Monument at Nikopolis
- V. Ideology of "Peace through Victory" and the Ara Pacis Augustae: Visual Rhetoric and the Creation of a Dynastic Narrative
- Appendix A "Aeneas Panel" of the Ara Pacis
- Appendix B Mausoleum of Augustus and Its Quadrigate Imagery
- Appendix C Ustrinum Augusti
- VI. Acanthus of the Ara Pacis as an Apolline and Dionysiac Symbol of Anamorphosis, Anakyklosis, and Numen Mixtum
- VII. Smaller Cancelleria ("Vicomagistri") Reliefs and Julio-Claudian Imperial Altars: Limitations of the Evidence and Problems in Interpretation
- Appendix: The Ara Providentiae Augustae, Colossal Seated Statue of Augustus, and Julio-Claudian Ideology
- VIII. "Insanity" of Caligula or the "Insanity" of the Jews? Differences in Perception and Religious Beliefs
- Appendix: The Portraiture of Caligula---Myth, Reality, and Contemporary Attempts at Polychromy
- IX. "Star Power" in Imperial Rome: Astral Theology, Castorian Imagery, and the Dual Heirs in the Transmission of Leadership
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 489-524) and indexes.
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2012013825
- OCLC: 789148373
- OCLC: 789148373