Book , Online in English
Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage
- New York : Boydell & Brewer Group Ltd, 2014.
- 1 online resource (629 pages).
Get a copy from a partner library in 2-3 weeks. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
- Local Subjects
- Electronic books.
- Awareness of the significance of intangible cultural heritage (ICH) has recently grown, due to the promotional efforts of UNESCO and its Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003). However, the increased recognition of intangible heritage has brought to light its undervalued status within the museum and heritage sector, and raised questions about safeguarding efforts, ownership, protective legal frameworks, authenticity and how global initiatives can be implemented at a local level, where most ICH is located. This book provides a variety of international perspec.
- Frontcover; List of Illustrations; Acknowledgments; Touching the Intangible: An Introduction; Negotiating and Valuing the Intangible; 1 The Paradoxes of Intangible Heritage; 2 Memory, Museums and the Making of Meaning: A Caribbean Perspective; 3 From Intangible Expression to Digital Cultural Heritage; 4 Conversation Piece: Intangible Cultural Heritage in Sweden; 5 Africa's Rich Intangible Heritage: Managing a Continent's Diverse Resources; 6 The Silence of Meanings in Conventional Approaches to Cultural Heritage in Jordan:The Exclusion of Contexts and the Marginalisation of the Intangible.
- 7 Conversation Piece: Intangible Cultural Heritage in IndiaApplying the Intangible Cultural Heritage Concept; 8 Reflections on the Implementation of the UNESCO 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in France; 9 Government and Intangible Heritage in Australia; 10 Proud to be Dutch? Intangible Heritage and National Identity in the Netherlands; 11 Intangible Cultural Heritage in Wales; 12 Conversation Piece: Intangible Cultural Heritage in Botswana.
- 13 The UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage and its Implications for Sustaining Culture in Nova ScotiaOn the Ground: Safeguarding the Intangible; 14 Acquiring the Tools for Safeguarding Intangible Heritage: Lessons from an ICH Field School in Lamphun, Thailand; 15 Intangible Threads: Curating the Living Heritage of Dayak Ikat Weaving; 16 Conversation Piece: Intangible Cultural Heritage in South Africa; 17 Revitalising Amerindian Intangible Cultural Heritage in Guyana and its Value for Sustainable Tourism.
- 18 When ICH Takes Hold of the Local Reality in Brazil: Notes from the Brazilian State of Pernambuco19 Reconfiguring the Framework: Adopting an Ecomuseological Approach for Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage; 20 Conversation Piece: Intangible Cultural Heritage in Italy; 21 Looking to the Future :The en-compass Project as a Way Forward for Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage; Contributors; Index; Titles of Related Interest; Copyright.
- Additional form
- Alternate version: 9781843837107
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 892239218
- OCLC: 892239218