Book , Online in English
Essential Israel : Essays for the 21st Century
edited by S. Ilan Troen and Rachel Fish.
- Bloomington, Indiana : Indiana Unviversity Press, 2017. (Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2015)
- 1 online resource (pages cm)
Get a copy from a partner library in 2-3 weeks. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
- Electronic books.
- Book collections on Project MUSE.
- Perspectives on Israel studies
- Most Americans are ill-prepared to engage thoughtfully in the increasingly serious debate about Israel, its place in the Middle East, and its relations with the United States. Essential Israel examines a wide variety of complex issues and current concerns in historical and contemporary contexts to provide readers with an intimate sense of the dynamic society and culture that is Israel today. The expert contributors to this volume address the Arab-Israeli conflict, the state of diplomatic efforts to bring about peace, Zionism and the impact of the Holocaust, the status of the Jewish state and Israeli democracy, foreign relations, immigration and Israeli identity, as well as literature, film, and the other arts. This unique and innovative volume provides solid grounding to understandings of Israel's history, politics, culture, and possibilities for the future.
- An invitation to Israel literacy / S. Ilan Troen and Rachel Fish
- Israel : geography, demography, and economy / S. Ilan Troen, Maoz Azaryahu, and Arnon Golan
- From Zionism to Zion / Michael Brenner
- Zionist settlement in the land of Israel/Palestine / S. Ilan Troen
- The Arab-Israeli conflict / Alan Dowty
- History of the peace process / David Makovsky
- Israel in world opinion / Gil Troy
- Israel : a Jewish democracy / Yedidia Dtern
- Citizenship and democracy in Israel / Donna Robinson Divine
- Israel, American Jews, and Jewish peoplehood / Steven Bayme
- "Jewishness" in Israel : Israel as a Jewish state / David Ellenson
- Contemporary Christianity and Israel / Yaakov Ariel
- Perceptions and understandings of Israel within Islam / Norman A. Stillman
- "Hebrewism" and Israeli culture / Rachel S. Harris
- Israeli and Hebrew literature : from the Yishuv to the 21st century / Ranen Omer Sherman.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Additional form
- Alternate version: 9780253027191
- Identifying numbers
- OCLC: 970042815