Book , Print in English
The address book
Sophie Calle ; translation: Pauline Baggio ; book design: Natalie Kraft.
- Los Angeles, California : Siglio, 2012.
- Copyright Notice: ©2012
- First edition.
- 104 unnumbered pages : illustrations (some color) ; 19 cm
Request a copy from BorrowDirect Get a copy from a partner library in 3-6 days. Checkout period is 16 weeks, with no renewals.
Eisenhower M Level ReservesTR647.C334 2012 c. 1Available
- Local Subjects
- Pictorial Works.
- Artists' books — California — Los Angeles — 2012.
- "Having found a lost address book on the street in Paris, artist Sophie Calle copied the pages before returning it anonymously to its owner. She then began contacting the people--in essence, following him through the map of his family, friends, lovers, and acquaintances. Sophie Calle's written accounts of these encounters--juxtaposed with her photographs ... As 'The Address Book' entries accumulate, so do the vivid impressions of its owner, Pierre D., while suggesting ever more complicated stories as information is gifted, parsed, and withheld. A multitude of details--from the seemingly banal to the potentially revelatory--are collaged into a fragile and strangely intimate portrait of Pierre D.; while Calle, over the course of her pursuit, also turns the interrogation on herself, her own fears, assumptions, and obsessions. Part conceptual art, part character study, part confession, part essay"--Publisher's website, viewed March 21, 2013.
- Other information
- Originally published in Libération, August 2-September 4, 1983.
- "[T]rade edition artist's book, designed in collaboration with the artist ... This is the first trade publication in English of The Address Book. (Gemini G.E.L. in Los Angeles released a suite of lithographs modeled on the original tabloid pages from Libération in an edition of 24)"--Publisher's Web site, viewed March 21, 2013.
- Sewn signatures in paper over boards with black cloth spine. Author's name, title, and publisher name stamped in gilt on the cover and spine. Elastic band closure simulates an address book. Text and photographs are offset printed.
- Language: Translated into English from the French.
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2013456963
- OCLC: 794365454
- OCLC: 794365454