Book , Print in English
The city in the Islamic world
general editor, Salma K. Jayyusi ; special editors, Renata Holod, Attilio Petruccioli and André Raymond.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2008.
- 2 volumes (xx, 1494 pages) : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
Eisenhower B LevelHT147.5.C59 2008 c. 1Multiple Items
- "The purpose of this book, is to draw attention to the sites of life, politics and culture where current and past generations of the Islamic world have made their mark. Unlike many previous volumes dealing with the city in the Islamic world, this one has been specially expanded not only to include snapshots of historical fabric but also to deal with the transformation of this fabric into modern and contemporary urban entities."--Book cover.
- VOLUME 1. Introduction --- pt. 1. Some historiographical notes on the islamic city with particular reference to the visual representation of the built city / Annalinda Neglia --- The Spatial Organization of the City / André Raymond --- Law and the City / Besim Hakim --- Inherited cities / Hugh Kennedy --- Founded Cities of the Arab World from the 7th to the 11th Centuries / Sylvie Denoix --- pt. 2: Regional aspects. The Ottoman Cities of the Balkans / Pierre Pinon --- Iranian cities / Heinz Gaube --- Indian cities / Marc Gaborieau --- The Ottoman Town (15th-18th centuries) / Gilles Veinstein --- pt. 3: Case studies. Baghdad in the Abbasid Era: A Cosmopolitan and Multi-Confessional Capital / Françoise Micheau --- Marinid Fez: Zenith and Signs of Decline / Halima Ferhat --- The spatial organization of Tunis Medina and other arab-muslim cities in North Africa and the near East / Roberto Berardi --- The Mamluk City / Doris Abouseif --- Islamic Jerusalem or Jerusalem under Muslim rule / Oleg Grabar --- Aleppo. From the Ottoman Metropolis to the Syrian City / Jean-Claude David --- At the Ottoman Empire's industrious core: the story of Bursa / Suraiya Faroqhi --- The Ottoman Tripoli: a Mediterranean Medina / Ludovico Micara --- Algiers in the Ottoman Period: the City and its Population / Federico Cresti --- The "Citadel, Town, Suburbs" Model and Medieval Kirman / Lisa Golombek --- Istanbul 1620-1750: change and tradition / Maurice Cerasi --- Bukhara and Samarkand / Attilio Petruccioli --- Shiraz, the city of gardens and poets / Mahvash Alemi --- Mughal Agra. A Riverfront Garden City / Ebba Koch --- Architecture, Urban Space and the Re-Scripting of Hyderabad's Urban Heritage, 1858-1868 / Alison Mackenzie Shah --- Sana'a / Ronald Lewcock and Arief Setiawan --- Harar, the fourth Holy city of Islam / Serge Santelli --- Rabat
- Salé. Holy Cities of the Two Banks / Saïd Mouline --- The sub-Saharan city: rules and built form / Besim Hakim and Zubair Ahmed ---- VOLUME 2. pt. 4: City functions. Dar-al Ma. The Architecture of water in the Islamic countries / Rino Montalbano --- The Economy of the Traditional City / André Raymond --- Pilgrimage City / David Roxburgh --- The Management of the City / André Raymond --- The Countryside: the Roman Agricultural and Hydraulic Legacy of the Islamic Mediterranean / D. Fairchild Ruggles --- Citizenhood: Proof Against the Century / Mohammed Naciri --- House and fabric in the Islamic Mediterranean City / Attilio Petruccioli --- The Gendered City / Lucienne Thys-Senocak --- Guilds in Recent Historical Scholarship / Nelli Hanna --- The Waqf in the City / Randi Deguillem --- pt. 5: The modern and contemporary city. Tradition and Modernity in the 19th Century: Modernization of the Cities of the Ottoman Empire (1800-1920) / Jean-Luc Arnaud --- Mediterraneanism. French and Italian Architects' Designs in 1930s North African Cities / Mia Fuller --- Algiers. The colonial city / Attilio Petruccioli --- Casablanca. The city in the Islamic world / Jean-Louis Cohen --- Identity, Globalisation and the Contemporary Islamic City / Hasan-Uddin Khan --- The Growing Pains of Dubai: A city in search of its identity / Deeba Haider --- Cairo Between Traces and Liberal Re-foundation / Eric Denis --- The Reconstructions of Beirut / Joe Nasr and Eric Verdeil.
- Other information
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Additional form
- 0169-9423 ;
- Identifying numbers
- LCCN: 2008006517
- OCLC: 199455706
- OCLC: 199455706