For electronic reserves…
Homewood Patrons may access electronic reserves from: Eisenhower Course Readings
SAIS Patrons may access electronic reserves from their course pages in Blackboard
Welch Patrons may access electronic reserves from: Welch E-Reserves
Patrons with questions regarding access to electronic reserves should email or speak to their home library.
1. The "greatest problem": religion and state formation in Meiji Japan Book , Print in English
2. The Cambridge history of Japan Volume 6: The twentieth century Book , Online in English
3. Capitalism from within: economy, society, and the state in a Japanese fishery Book , Print in English
4. Capitalism from within: economy, society, and the state in a Japanese fishery Online in English
5. The culture of the Meiji period Book , Print in English , Japanese
6. The economic emergence of modern Japan Book , Print in English
7. Empire of the Dharma: Korean and Japanese Buddhism, 1877-1912 Book , Print in English
8. The fascist effect: Japan and Italy, 1915-1952 Book , Print in English
9. The Fascist Effect: Japan and Italy, 1915́1952 Book , Online in English
10. Gendering modern Japanese history Book , Print in English
11. Grassroots fascism: the war experience of the Japanese people Book , Print in English
12. Imaging disaster: Tokyo and the visual culture of Japan's Great Earthquake of 1923 Book , Print in English
13. Japan and imperialism, 1853-1945 Book , Print in English
14. Japan and imperialism, 1853-1945 Book , Print in English
15. Japan in transformation, 1945-2010 Book , Print in English2014 .Since 1945, Japan has successfully reinvented itself, rising from the ashes of defeat to become a peaceful and prosperous nation. It is seen as an inspiration for other developing nations and contributes significantly to global development. As the third largest economy in the…
16. Japan's imperial underworlds: intimate encounters at the borders of empire Book , Online in English2018 .This major new study uses vivid accounts of encounters between Chinese and Japanese people living at the margins of empire to elucidate Sino-Japanese relations in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Each chapter explores mobility in East Asia through the histories of…
17. Japan's modern myths: ideology in the late Meiji period Book , Print in English1985 .
Libraries Service CenterDS881.95.G58 1985 c. 1Checked outChecked out, Due: Jan 2 2020Another patron is currently using this item. Use BorrowDirect to request a different copy. For additional help, ask a library staff member.
18. Japan's postwar history Book , Print in English2004 .
19. The limits of Okinawa: Japanese capitalism, living labor, and theorizations of community Book , Print in English2015 .The birth of Okinawa prefecture and the creation of difference -- The Miyako Island Peasantry Movement as an event -- Reforming old customs, transforming women's work -- The impossibility of plantation sugar in Okinawa…
20. Limits of okinawa: japanese capitalism, living labor, and theorizations of okinawan community Book , Online in English2015 .The birth of Okinawa prefecture and the creation of difference -- The Miyako Island Peasantry Movement as an event -- Reforming old customs, transforming women's work -- The impossibility of plantation sugar in Okinawa…
21. Lost histories: recovering the lives of Japan's colonial peoples Book , Print in English2019 ."Examines material objects, visual imagery, and oral histories to help reconstruct the lives and movements of the four least examined groups of Japan's colonial subjects--the Ainu, Taiwan's indigenous people, Micronesians, and Okinawans--conveying the dynamic nature of an empire…
22. Making borders in modern East Asia: the Tumen River demarcation, 1881-1919 Book , Online in English2018 .Until the late nineteenth century, the Chinese-Korean Tumen River border was one of the oldest, and perhaps most stable, state boundaries in the world. Spurred by severe food scarcity following a succession of natural disasters, from the 1860s, countless Korean refugees crossed…
23. A modern history of Japan: from Tokugawa times to the present Book , Print in English2020 .note: pt. 1 CRISIS OF THE TOKUGAWA REGIME -- 1. Tokugawa Polity -- Unification -- Tokugawa Political Settlements -- Daimyo -- Imperial Institution -- Samurai -- Villagers and City-Dwellers -- Margins of the Japanese and Japan -- 2. Social and Economic Transformations…
24. Modern Japan: a social and political history Book , Print in English2016 ."This thoroughly revised and updated third edition of Modern Japan provides a concise and fascinating introduction to the social, cultural and political history of modern Japan. Ranging from the Tokugawa period to the present day, Tipton links everyday lives with major historical…
25. Molding Japanese minds: the state in everyday life Online in English
26. Nation-empire: ideology and rural youth mobilization in Japan and its colonies Book , Print in English2018 .By the end of World War II, hundreds of thousands of young men in the Japanese colonies, in particular Taiwan and Korea, had expressed their loyalty to the empire by volunteering to join the army. Why and how did so many colonial youth become passionate supporters of Japanese…
27. Native sources of Japanese industrialization, 1750-1920 Online in English1988 .Premodern economic growth : Japan and the West -- The land tax in the Tokugawa period -- Farm family by-employments in preindustrial Japan -- Peasant families and population control in eighteenth-century Japan -- Japan's aristocratic revolution -- The discontented…
28. Rearranging the landscape of the gods: the politics of a pilgrimage site in Japan, 1573-1912 Book , Print in English2005 .Konpira: site of the gods -- Of gods and rulers (to 1587) -- Konpira, Kongōbō, and the establishment of the Tokugawa Order (1600-1675) -- God of the market (1688-1760) -- Culture of the gods (1744-1867) -- From Konpira to Kotohira (1868-1869)…
29. Reconfiguring modernity: concepts of nature in Japanese political ideology Book , Print in English2001 .
30. Reconfiguring Modernity: Concepts of Nature in Japanese Political Ideology Book , Online in English
31. Sovereignty experiments: Korean migrants and the building of borders in northeast Asia, 1860-1945 Book , Print in English2019 ."Sovereignty Experiments places Korean migrants and multiple efforts to govern them at the center of a transnational history about the building of modern sovereign states in Northeast Asia at the turn of the twentieth century"--
32. To stand with the nations of the world: Japan's Meiji Restoration in world history Book , Online in English
33. To stand with the nations of the world: Japan's Meiji Restoration in world history Book , Print in English2017 .An almost perpetual peace -- The crisis of imperialism -- Reform and revolution -- A newly ancient Japan -- The impatient nation -- The prudent empire -- Conclusion.
34. Vicarious Language: Gender and Linguistic Modernity in Japan Book , Online in English2006 .An echo of national modernity: overhearing "schoolgirl speech" -- Linguistic modernity and the emergence of women's language -- From schoolgirl speech to women's language: consuming indexicality in the Women's magazines, 1890-1930…
35. Waste: consuming postwar Japan Book , Print in English2018 ."A history of the many and changing ideas of waste in Japan from the mid-1940s to the present"--